Thursday, November 13, 2014

giving it a try...

I'm a person who loves music, yet I am not musically inclined at all. I love listening to the lyrics, I get excited when just the right song comes on the radio or my phone.  I'll belt it out during praise and worship time or church or even in my office and driving down the road, but pray that you don't have to sit close to me during that time!!! In fact, one of my parents (from work) last year said 'why don't you go join the choir I see you like to sing, it would increase the numbers'. I commented to her that no one wants to hear me sing! She came back with, 'Oh we can mute the mic!'

A song that changed me was "More Like Falling in Love" by Jason Gray.  Every single lyric spoke to me.  I could be the kid to break the rules or cross the lines because I didn't agree with them or I didn't understand them.  I didn't realize that rules and lines are there to guide you to freedom, not limit your freedom.  Teenagers often see rules and say why?  And as adults we say "because I said so" instead of explaining that these rules and regulations are there not to tie us down, but to set us free.  To set us up to choose what is true, right, and beautiful.  Everything that God created, everything he destined us to, the church shows us the way to go about it.  It sets rules and passes on traditions so that we may be set free to 'Go and make disciples of all nations'.  Not because that's what the rules say, but because that is what our hearts desire.

Your heart desires to fall in love, to be filled with everything that is good, true, and beautiful; your heart desires to be filled up with everything God has created for you, yet we limit ourselves when we break these rules, when we turn away from these commandments through sin.  Yet our merciful, powerful, and all loving God gives us the opportunity to turn back to him; to invite him into our messes and turn them into messages for his followers.
Jason has a verse that says 'Called up, called out come take a look at me now, it's like I'm falling, it's like I'm falling in LOVE'.  What does it mean to fall in love? What does it mean to have someone call you on your bs? Call you on your shortcomings? Hold you accountable not to trip you up, but to SET YOU FREE.  Falling in love is an amazing, scary, hard, beautiful, sacrificing, rewarding journey that continues to challenge us to become the best version of ourselves; the -ing implies that it is an ongoing process and our God calls us into this relationship with him, not a stale, dry one, but a faithful active one.  My question for you is what have you fallen in love with when it should be who are you falling in love with?

Go listen to "More like falling love" by Jason Gray and allow the lyrics to challenge and comfort you!


--Live Jesus--

No comments:

Post a Comment